Tuesday, October 4, 2011

New Boardies, a Surfboard and the Meaning of Friendship

Gods word tells us to be still and know that I am Lord. There is an old saying ' take time to smell the roses'. Have you ever just sat and quietly contemplated all that is around you? Do you have a special place , a favourite chair, maybe a peaceful part of the garden where you can be quiet and take stock of life?
A few years ago Captain Corsair bought me a garden chair and it is here I gravitate on a still day to read, write or just think. However quite often when I go and sit on my chair I am joined by the Captain, a bevy of cats and the inevitable dog or two, then to top it off sons Top Gun and JB usually add to the mix. There were times that I resented this intrusion to my time of peace. Selfish huh?
This morning was such a time. I had just settled down comfortably on my chair when Captain Corsair sits down beside me, followed by his undisciplined hound that seems all big feet and lolling tongue. No sooner had we organised the seating arrangements than Top Gun bounds out of the house doing an impressive impersonation of John Cleese( long legs going everywhere)wearing a pair of bright orange and yellow board shorts and sporting his new reflective sunglasses--and not much else.
" Like the new boardies mum?' his eyebrows shot up in question.
' Mmmm, bright!' I replied.
He then went on to tell me that he and his two mates had by some means (I refrained from asking how) come by an old surfboard. The new boardies were to compliment the second-hand surfboard. I asked him how three guys were going to make use of one surfboard, especially living approximately 300 kms
from the nearest beach. His reply may have been somewhat naive but on hindsight his simplistic solution to the problem, is one that should perhaps be adopted more often.
' We're friends Mum we will share.'
Out of the mouths of babes?

No comments:

Post a Comment